Old idea + new idea = another idea
Saturday, December 15, 2012 (0)


Okay. I'm feeling a little serious right now so I'll make the most of this mood before I go back to my Glee- and Veronica Mars-obsessed fangirl self again.

The first idea was to make a digital storybook CD-ROM for kids, aged around 4 to 7, aka prep to grade two students.

Many blame technology for some children's growing distance from books. So did I. Maybe this is what my parents felt when typewriters became endangered and newspaper layouts were made possible with computers -- we were so used to the things we experienced, we've grown attached to them, and hence we feel sad and possibly even envious that the next generations don't get to suffer (lol) or share the experience that we had when we were at their age. I, for one, desire to carry on the fate of the printed word, but this rising technology is inevitable. It's no use fighting it: it's not headed anywhere else but forward. And we can't let the younger generations get left behind.

So it makes perfect sense to harness technology and offer a reading experience for kids in a format that fits their generation. Since many kids now have access to gadgets and laptops, I plan to educate and entertain them with a digital storybook. I want to inspire an interest within them not just for books, but for reading per se. I also want to inspire other designers and techies to delve into similar projects too.

Now, last December 11 was the last day to change the topics we presented individually on our letter. I was panicking, I assume I still wasn't approved and I had second thoughts for a while, so I passed in a new letter. 

I wrote about doing a re-interpretation of Greek mythology -- relating these old tales with contemporary social issues. Sort of like a The Greek Gods Sure Were Powerful Yet Not Perfect; Learn From Their Occasional Stupidity project.

We take these ancient legends for granted. Mythology, especially Greek and Norse, has long had a massive influence on many cultures today. While we know these stories are simply make-believes, it’s no surprise that they mirror quite a lot of contemporary issues, society taboos, and individual problems thousands of years later.

I want to retell some well-known Greek stories in a new style as a metaphor to discuss, bring awareness and allow people to contemplate on certain issues. Or show that despite the belief that these gods and legendary figures have power over their fate, they’re powerless to spot the problems happening in the world. Stories of those like Pandora (with hardship comes hope), Dedalus and Icarus (plan ahead and don’t take unnecessary risks), Medusa (importance of respect); Judgment of Paris (what’s important: wisdom, power, or beauty?); Arachne (pride comes before the fall); Arion (no bad deed goes unpunished); Achilles (everybody has a weakness), etc.

The written component will be the research behind each image, each detail to help communicate the link between these ancient philosophies and modern matters. And as for the creative part, I was thinking -- an art exhibit?

I'm still lost.

--

My newest idea is brilliant: Digital storybook + Greek mythology = senior project!

I was wondering for the longest time what to write about for the storybook anyway.... But the fact that I think this idea is brilliant makes me feel that this is gonna backfire. Uh. 

Will think some more, then I'll come back later.


Post a Comment